How Teachers Can Maintain a Healthy Work-Life Balance
Published on Jan 19, 2021 by Jess Reider
Adopting new approaches to how you balance your work life and your personal life can lead to a more efficient teaching experience.
Whether it's sitting on the couch after dinner and grading student work or getting up an hour early to finalize the day's lesson plan, educators have plenty of experience with the struggle of maintaining a healthy work-life balance. This situation is made even more complex with the increase of teachers now working remotely. Knowing when to step away from the computer and how to prioritize your well-being can be the difference between a successful school year and a stressful one.
You've probably heard plenty of tips on maintaining a healthy work-life balance before, but it's important to note there is no one-size-fits-all approach. Here are some recommended changes to your routine that may help you more easily disconnect from work:
- Take screen breaks regularly throughout the day.
- Turn off email notifications outside of work hours.
- Schedule time to tackle obligations instead of trying to juggle multiple tasks at once.
- Develop a routine that incorporates mindful practices, even if it's just going for a walk.
- Don't feel guilty for keeping unconventional hours.
- Set aside time to commit to a hobby or pastime during your day.
If you're struggling with maintaining a positive balance in your work and home lives, don't hesitate to reach out to fellow educators and administrators for support. Finding the right approach based on your individual circumstances will benefit not only you but also your classroom.
For more resources on maintaining a healthy work-life balance, check out these articles:
- Computer Science
- Media Communications
- Career Development
- Recording Arts
- Warped Tour
- Hall of Fame
- Information Technology
- For Parents
- Behind the Scenes Tour
- Digital Arts & Design
- Simulation & Visualization
- Image Gallery
- Creative Writing
- Game Design
- Students & Faculty
- Alumni Updates
Full Sail UniversityRequest Info